When to say no to the Fix it shop!

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

elroto
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 1991 Si

When to say no to the Fix it shop!

Post by elroto »

I took my 91 lude in for a few items to get it past inspection. Muffler and one fog light and a few hundered dollars left me happy. As an afterthought I asked the shop to look at my AC as it blows hot air 100%. They came back with a "you need a new compressor and coil" I asked about cost ....$1080.00 for parts and labor. I thanked the person and said no way! So....I have bought the Chilton's repair book and will tackle the job myself! I have a screw driver somewher..... :lol:

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: When to say no to the Fix it shop!

Post by spiffyguido »

You probably won't have any trouble with this. Changing the AC compressor can be done with simple tools. Just loosen the belt tension and remove it from its mount.

One word of caution: Be sure to get your AC lines de-pressurized before popping them off the compressor. The lines are high pressure, and you do not want to inhale or get any of the AC fluid on you. When everything is back together, you'll need to get the lines recharged.

Loosening the tension on the power steering belt is kind of tricky. If you find you need to take it off to get the compressor out, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.